FamilySearch International is pleased to announce the release of FamilySearch GEDCOM 7.0 (Genealogical Data Communications). The latest version allows zip packaging capabilities for photos and files with genealogical information, plus new tools, and a public GitHub repository for ongoing maintenance. Technical information, specifications, tools, and guides can be found at GEDCOM.io.
At RootsTech 2020, FamilySearch launched an effort to create a new version of GEDCOM based on the 5.5.1 version that would include: 1) new expressivity, flexibility, and compatibility; 2) zip packaging of associated images and other files with the related GEDCOM file; and 3) public access using a GitHub repository. Many industry software providers and key influencers participated, and the initiative concluded May 15, 2021, with the completion of this comprehensive effort.
FamilySearch GEDCOM 7.0 is the outcome of those efforts and includes the following new enhancements:
· Zip packaging capabilities for photos and files have been added.
· Notes have been expanded for more versatile use and styling of text.
· Tools, sample files, sample code, and self-testing guides are included.
· The GEDCOM specification and any code available from FamilySearch based on the specification is subject to the terms and conditions of the Apache License, Version 2.0.
· Ambiguities in the GEDCOM Version 5.5.1 specification have been removed.
· A public GitHub repository generates maintenance requests and on-going discussions about future features.
Users of FamilySearch GEDCOM 7.0 will be able to import files from older GEDCOM versions. However, users of older versions of GEDCOM will not be able to import from FamilySearch GEDCOM 7.0.
FamilySearch GEDCOM 7.0 is copyrighted.
© 1987, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1999, 2019, and 2021 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. A service provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
General information can be found at GEDCOM.info.
General Info: GEDCOM.info